A year or so ago Dave read a book called Country Driving by
Peter Hessler. As Dave read it, he
frequently laughed out loud and when he was done he recommended that I read
it. The book is about Hessler (an
American) getting a driver’s license in China and then driving all over the
country on his own. I guess my own harrowing
experience as a passenger in a “professional”
driver’s car in China was too fresh in my memory - it didn’t make it on my list.
However, I did finally read it at the end of last year. Hessler is a very talented writer and the
book is hilarious. He goes all the way
from Beijing to Inner Mongolia and spends lots of time in the countryside with
many adventures and misadventures with the local people along the way. I would highly recommend it.
In addition to being a good read, Country Driving gave me some insight to what I’d seen on the
road in China. The underlying philosophy of Chinese driving school is “if it’s
technically difficult, it must be important”.
In other words, a Chinese licensed driver may be able to parallel park
with precision, but he may not know to use the blinkers.
It also confirmed something I’d suspected – that there
really aren’t rules of driving in China; people just do what they want and as
long as there’s no accident it’s okay. The
Chinese driving test has questions like “when overtaking another car, a driver
should pass: A) on the left; B) on the right; C) wherever, depending on the
situation." I think C is the answer.
There was one other observation, however, that I wasn’t sure
was funny or frightening: I could
absolutely envision Dave going on a Great China Road Trip and having a great time at it. He loves interacting with people in China. On one of his trips to China, he and a friend stopped in a convenience store to get something to drink. There were a bunch of guys (who didn't speak but a bit of English) in the shop playing mahjong who invited Dave and the friend to hang out. And they did. Dave loves that kind of thing.
So the idea of Dave going on a Great Chinese Road Trip wasn't bad, but I must admit I
shuddered a bit when I thought “what if he
wanted me to come along?” Though not because of the driving part or even the notion of hanging out with people who I can't communicate with. It's what comes with being in rural China - the strange food (think along the lines of chicken feet and intestines) and squat toilets - that really aren't selling points to me.
Dave confirmed that he thought such an experience
would be great, but two key things (other than the reality of not having the
time) stood in the way: 1) he’s not fluent enough in Mandarin and 2) you have
to live in Mainland China to get a Chinese driver's license. While #1 is being worked on, #2 really was a
deal breaker. No Chinese Road Trip to
Inner Mongolia for us! (Whew!)
Ah, but the inspiration was still there.
Over Christmas, Dave got an
International Driver’s License.
With that, our trip to Thailand and Burma came into focus –
we wouldn’t FLY between cities in Thailand, we’d drive.
So yes, my friends, we had the Great Thailand Road Trip. More to come.
(In case you’re wondering, the International Driving Permit is good for driving practically anywhere in the world – except China
and Iraq.)


No comments:
Post a Comment