At the same time, Hong Kong has a larger than normal share
of extraordinarily rich people – like beyond-my-wildest-imagination rich. And here, and in Mainland China, the general
attitude is “if you’ve got it, flaunt it...and flaunt it very publicly."
(On a related note, here is a link to a recent, fascinating Wall Street
Journal article that gives additional insight to the Chinese consumer.) High-end fashion, cars, and jewelry are usual
favorite methods of displaying a person's monied existance.
Over three years we’ve become almost
numb to the ostentatious shows.
But every once in a while, a tycoon can still capture the
community’s (and our) attention with a completely over-the-top purchase. This
happened last week when a shipping magnate docked his brand-new “super yacht”
in Deep Water Bay - just off of Hong Kong Island. It cost an astounding $15 million US and took
eight years to build. I have to admit,
when I heard about it, I rolled my eyes - I’m not sure what I’d do if I had a
spare $15 million sitting around, but I’m pretty sure that it wouldn’t be used
to buy a boat!
Anyway, we were out on a boat ride yesterday (not the $15
million variety) with a group of friends and cruised through Deep Water Bay. We
found ourselves gawking at the space-age, militaristic looking yacht. Check it out:
This morning there was an article in the paper about the
yacht’s owner. He lamented about how
having the boat built was long and “there’s been so many disappointments along
the way…[it’s a] relief to have the boat finally here.” Oh, the tribulations and stresses that the
super-rich must encounter! We should count ourselves lucky that we'll never have such worries!
No comments:
Post a Comment