School’s been in session for six weeks now. Every day when Lydia comes home I ask “What
did you learn today?” Her standard answer:
“Nothing. It was just review!” I bought
that in the beginning but have become increasingly incredulous with that
response. Seriously, six weeks with only
review? That’s not what the homework
indicates.
Last night I was thinking about this blog and why I haven’t written
since summer. The reason: nothing has
happened the last six weeks. Maybe I should cut Lydia some slack.
I’m going to try to reform myself and get back on the blog bandwagon until
our time here comes to an end. Here it
goes!
Grade 3 students at Lydia’s school spent the first month of
school learning all about India – religion, culture, history, etc. It culminated in an “India Day” event on
Tuesday. We were told that the kids
could dress out of uniform if they wore traditional Indian clothes. Kids jump at any opportunity to not wear
their uniforms – and Lydia was anxious to be among them - but I wasn’t sure how
I was going to come up with Indian clothes in Hong Kong. Luckily, one of Lydia’s friend’s dad solved
that problem for several girls, picking up some outfits (called “sanwar”) while
he was in India.
It was really cute and looked super comfortable to me!
During the day, the kids were able to eat Indian food (yum!) and put into practice the
things they learned - dance, song, and“rangoli”
art:
On Thursday, the school had China Day, recognizing the
Chinese National Day holiday. Lydia was
able to wear a traditional Chinese cheongsam (silk top with mandarin collar)
that day. I’m guessing it’s the first
and last time in her life she’ll wear a sanwar and cheongsam to school in one
week…but maybe Holy Trinity in Lenexa will surprise us. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment