![]() |
| They found borax and bleach in a noodle production facility. |
With food in Hong Kong being imported from around the world, food labeling is something
that gets a lot of attention. It also
must require an army of workers to keep food on the shelves. Every imported item has a Hong Kong food
label that is printed and covers the original food label (and often the
directions or recipes as well), like this:
Yet, I’ve learned that what’s on the label can be misleading. Until recently, we had been buying imported
Australian milk…or so I thought. After a
more thorough examination of the label, I discovered that the COWS are imported
from Australia to China.
Nutritional claims or certain words (haven’t yet figured out
what they are) that don’t meet the HK labeling rules (haven’t yet figured out
what they are yet, either) get marked out.
With a magic marker. I’m not sure
what the crazy claims the Australian maker of this canola spray made, but it
clearly was egregious:
Either that or the person who spends day-in/day-out with a
Sharpie marking up labels was really, really bored!!
Some products that are made in the US are labeled by the
manufacturer for “Export” or "Export Only":
Makes you wonder...what does that mean?
Was there a quality issue that wasn't suitable for domestic consumption?
Just many more Living-in-Hong-Kong mysteries that we'll never solve!





No comments:
Post a Comment