Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A HK Favorite: Sham Shui Po


I deliberately avoided an area called Sham Shui Po for the first 2.5 years we lived here.  It’s the poorest district in the city and has the most densely occupied residential spaces.  Some people in the area actually live in large kennels (yes, as in animal kennel) – for about $100 US a month - so you can imagine how many people can get packed in buildings.  They are called “cage-dwellers” (credit for photo below goes to whatsonxiamen.com).  Sad.


Clearly, this is NOT the reason Sham Shui Po (SSP) is one of my favorites.  There's another side of the district, which is known to be the go-to place for fabric, beads, craft supplies, and any other kind of “notion” under the sun.  It’s really the one and only place for such items, since there are no Michael’s or Hobby Lobby type stores here. 

Last spring Lydia’s wonderful music teacher sent out a desperate email pleading for help to make 20 costumes for a music performance.  And sent it again about 5 times with increasing urgency.  I couldn’t take it anymore, so I volunteered (sucker!).  Since I don’t really know how to sew, unless making a drawstring bag in 7th grade home-ec counts, going to SSP to get the supplies seemed like the least of my problems.

When I exited the subway in SSP, I wasn’t impressed – just the usual busy street vendors selling all kinds of old electronics and strange smells wafting from tiny cafes.  But then, I turned a corner and saw the first of the many brightly colored ribbon shops all in a row.  All of a sudden, I could see that the area had potential.



There were shops with buckets of beads that could be purchased by weight.



Fabric galore.

(The prices were amazing – I got enough fabric for 20 skirts and 30 sashes for about $40 US!)

Other shops were brimming with lace, buttons, hair accessory pieces, leather, rope, feathers, jewelry making supplies, and the list goes on and on...a Mecca for crafters!

Though I didn’t leave SSP the first time with any additional crafting or sewing skills, I was inspired.  With the guidance of a talented friend, the school program costumes worked out great (though the photos did not - this is the best one I could come up with!):

Now I look for reasons to go to Sham Shui Po.  Most recently I volunteered to go buy 200+ bandanas with coordinating ribbon for 25 Girl Scout troops. Rarely do I get a thrill out of shopping, but that may have been the most fun shopping trip I've ever had!  Here's the haul:


And, I have learned how to make something with all cute ribbon...ribbon belts!  

Much cuter when worn, but my model is at school!

Just looking at these photos make me want to make something, but I have no immediate needs.  Sash, skirt, ribbon belt anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment