Friday, August 27, 2010

Sensational Six

In the past, I think Dave and I have given a lot more time and consideration to Lydia's birthday than she has. Last year, we labored over the penguin pinata and cupcakes. The years before we made elaborate cakes and made sure we had coordinating party decorations, invitations, etc.

However, Lydia was on top of things with her sixth birthday. She started planning well in advance - like in February. Over the months, her proposed party activities ranged from having a roller skating party to holding a carnival. Her proposed guest list was getting longer by the minute.

Of course, with Dave being on another continent most of the summer and all of our wordly possessions being limited to what we could carry on an airplane, we were in no position to deliver a big birthday bash this year. And besides that, half of Lydia's guest list was on the other side of the world. We were really sweating that she would be disappointed.

Dave and I celebrated with her while he was in KC, a couple of weeks in advance of her birthday. We shared a yummy, huge cupcake from a bakery down the street and went to Oceans of Fun (side note, I'm hoping that we did not see an actual cross-section of normal Americans; if it was, I'm frightened. When did we become an obese, tattooed nation??). She loved it.

Next, we celebrated with a weekend trip to visit friends in Omaha and a special "girls night out" dinner. Next, we celebrated in Kansas City with the Saunders family. Next, we celebrated in Hutchinson with the Hofmeier family. In between all these celebrations, Lydia got cards, gifts and well wishes from other families and friends.

None of the celebrations included anything elaborate - ice cream with a simple cake, along with family and friends, were all that were needed to make each of them fun and memorable.
At the conclusion of the birthday marathon, Lydia told me "this was my best birthday EVER!"


I haven't heard a word about not having a carnival party. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment