Saturday, September 5, 2009

International Flavors

Hong Kong is the "culinary capital" of Asia (at least that's what the tourism board campaign says). Indeed there are restaurants and street vendors (called "hawkers") on every street and down nearly every alley.

Just by looking at restaurant names, you can get a sense for the "international-ness" of the city. Here is just a sampling of the restaurants we spotted in about a four-block area in the Central district of the city today:
(Okay, so a salad place isn't particularly "international", but it was an exciting find.)

Of course, if you've been reading this blog for anytime at all, you will be able to identify which of the restaurants we picked for lunch!

However, despite my obsessive blogging about Mexican food, we have dined at a variety of restaurants with fare we cannot easily get back in KC. Dave has a much greater sense of adventure and hasn't freaked out about some of the very strange things he's been served - he'll have to blog about his crazy dining experiences like eating chicken feet, eating chicken while the chicken head (eyes and all) was on the table, and finding out the "mushroom" he was eating was really just "part" of a pig organ.

I could write more about food in Hong Kong, but it's time for us to head out - to dinner! Who knows what's in store for us...

3 comments:

  1. Nobody would able to resist the "Crazy Taco"! How was it? And I want to know if you get a chance to meet Ivan the Kozak. He's got to be an interesting fella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think I have a pretty open mind about trying different foods, but the truth is that if I were in your shoes and faced on any regular basis with being served chicken feet or pig organs I would become vegetarian pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, just the paragraph about Dave has my stomach turning. If we come to visit, you are totally picking the restaurants. Promise?

    ReplyDelete