Friday, September 18, 2009

Take a Hike!

Another day...out of school! Yes, after just two days back, HKIS kids had the day off because of a scheduled teacher in-service. So, what to do?? Take a hike!

I have been hiking a number of times in Hong Kong, but today was the first time that I've been on an extended hike with Lydia...and a huge group of other people. One of the moms I hike with organized a "School's Out" mom/kid hike for this morning. The invitation went out saying "the more the merrier" and to bring others along. As you can see, we were quite a merry bunch!

The route was a very easy one - all downhill around the Tai Tam Reservoir in the country park near our apartment.
The hike organizer said that it would take about 1-1.5 hours with really, really slow kids. I think our group may have completed the hike in record time - in slow time, that is. Still, it was all about having fun along the way. Here are a small sampling of photos from our outing:

Looking at a big spider:



Looking at giant fish and turtles in the reservoir:

Being very silly...
Nearly to the finish line. This poor little boy couldn't quite break into the "girls club":

The kids had a blast and it burned a ton of energy and everyone had lots of fun.
We'll have plenty of opportunities for future School's Out hikes since next week there's a public holiday, the next week is parent/teacher conferences, two weeks later is fall break...seriously, when will the school year really start??

2 comments:

  1. That's one of the best "school's out" activities -- gotta use up that energy! You're so lucky to have found other moms with to enjoy the outdoors and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like they are doing an exercise program for you watch out Ha Ha Fun day I bet. Love to all Aunt Lois

    ReplyDelete