Saturday, June 20, 2009

Grocery Shopping

Since we couldn't exist on Pizza Hut for the long term (in case you are wondering, it doesn't quite taste like Kansas City Pizza Hut - the crust is a little harder, the cheese a little chewier, and a large isn't very large...but, overall, it's not bad), we've gone grocery shopping a couple of times.

The nearest supermarket is called "Taste." As one of the people Dave works with said, it is a very "foreigner friendly" store.


But, as I got a shopping cart and realized that all four wheels moved in all directions, I knew it wasn't going to be like shopping at Super Target.


I quickly learned that the wheels play a very important role in the sport of grocery shopping. You never know when you'll have to make an evasive move to avoid a crash or to scoot around someone who seems planted in place in one of the narrow aisles. While handy, the cart is very difficult to maneuver when a helpful four year old leans against it or tries to push.

As for the food, there are quite a few Western products at the store and a whole lot more that are quite mysterious.



Items are clearly labeled with their country of origin and we've been given advice on certain types of products (e.g. get milk that is from Australia, not China). The cost of food, imported food in particular, is not cheap. Below are a number familiar products and their cost in U.S. dollars. You'll notice that the size/weight of products is quite a bit smaller than the American norm.

Jif Peanut Butter (18 oz - WAY too small!) - $3.75
Post Raisin Bran (20 oz box) - $4.90
Prego Spaghetti (14 oz) - $2.65
Coke Zero (8 - 12 oz cans) - $2.95
Note: sadly, there appears to be no Diet Dr. Pepper here; THIS is a major hardship!
Australian Milk (1 liter) - $3.85 or equal to $14.65 a gallon!

Finally, I have to note that I never made it to into the meat department. I know that Taste is very tame by local market standards, but the aquarium with live fish was enough to scare me away!

2 comments:

  1. Those prices aren't as bad as I would have guessed. Grocery shoping in other countries definitely plunges you into the culture. I'm so glad you found PB. We walked all over the Riso Market in Puerto Vallarta one morning trying to find it on one trip. Thanks for the description on Pizza Hut. What's the most exotic topping you can order? Any eel or blowfish?

    Please beg Dave to take the camera into the meat market and get some pictures for the blog! I'd love to see the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meat market would definitely scare me too. It will be interesting to see what you get hooked on in the coming months. I left England with a life long addiction to tea (with milk), an affection for good curry and an appreciation for things like GALLONS of milk (as opposed to pints).

    ReplyDelete