Sunday, June 21, 2009

Swine Flu

In Kansas City, swine flu was something to be aware of, but not something that changed everyday life. Not here. The flu in Hong Kong is serious business.

When we first arrived, we learned that a single case of swine flu had been diagnosed in a primary school. The result - all pre-school and primary schools closed for two weeks; summer enrichment programs for young children were either cancelled or delayed. This means that Lydia will not start at the Woodland School (if schools are allowed to open) until June 29.

I figured that's okay since we are still getting settled and we have a huge playground and pool where we can spend time. Or so I thought...more on that in a minute.

Swine flu became much more of a reality to us when we went to Shenzhen, China on Friday. As we were going through immigration, our temperatures were taken by infrared scan and we filled out a health form. When the form was reviewed by officials, we were asked if we'd been in the United States in the last seven days. When we said "yes" we were escorted to an area called the "Infectious Disease Isolation Quarantine Area." Our escort kept our passports. Yikes! We were required to put on masks and have our temperatures taken with a bulb thermometer(Lydia was less than thrilled).


Fortunately, we checked out okay and were allowed to go back through immigration.

Being stopped on our way to China made us more aware of swine flu. But, it still wasn't something we thought about a whole lot. However, when I returned from a quick run yesterday morning, a notice was posted outside of our elevators:

I immediately forgot that I could hardly breathe from the uphill climb and humidity...the playground and pool will be closed until June 27! And, I later learned, that the person who has swine flu lives in our building. The building management is taking great pains to keep everything sanitized, but it is a bit disturbing knowing the swine flu germs are this close!

So, now I'm trying to figure out how Lydia and I will spend our days next week. But, more importantly, we are being hyper-vigilent about handwashing and disinfection. We don't want to get any closer to swine flu!

1 comment:

  1. The really encouraging news is that your family's health received the thumbs up from immigration officials when you went to Shenzhen. Your immune systems are strong and will protect you. I'm thinking you & Lydia are going to be playing some serious card games :-> Maybe a crazy eights tournament!

    ReplyDelete