Sunday, July 5, 2009

Our 4th of July

This may be the first 4th of July that we haven't gone to fireworks. It was definitely the first Independence Day when we still got mail! The American Club (a private club) across the street decorated with red, white, and blue - but that's about the only public recognition the day got. I guess this former British territory sees no need to celebrate America's independence!

At our house, we did a 4th of July craft activity. Here's Lydia's creative interpretation of the American flag:


For dinner, we did something very American...we made Mexican food. I've been picking up various Mexican food products as I find them - it's certainly not a cuisine that has taken off in Asia! (As a side note, Kentucky Fried Chicken is hugely popular here!)

Many items were brands that I would have walked right on by in Kansas City. Here, we take what we can get. Eventually, I hope to be able to make most Mexican food items from scratch - but that's a long-term goal.

Cheese is very pricey - about $12 (US dollars) for two packs of plain old Sargento shredded cheese. Imagine what making cheese enchiladas with the really good French imported cheese would have cost!

For dessert, we had homemade apple crisp. I meant to take a picture because it looked so great...but I completely forgot once it was out of the oven.
Hope you had great holiday!

1 comment:

  1. The green chile enchilada sauce in that same brand is delicious...try it if you can.

    ReplyDelete