Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

The transportation options here are quite plentiful and getting around without a car has been much easier than I expected. That being said, using the public transportation hasn't been without perilous (and funny) moments.

The shuttle bus from The Manhattan (our apartment complex) to Stanley Market is where nearly all of my daily outings begin. It leaves every 10- or 20- minutes (on the dot!) depending on the time of day. The trip to the market takes exactly 3 minutes and its free. It also offers a return trip to the Manhattan. It is 100% dependable. I consider it my lifeline.

The Stanley bus terminus is next to the market. You can take a double-decker bus nearly anywhere in the city. There are some express routes with fewer stops that are slightly more expensive. Expensive is relative - the routes I've taken vary between about $1.20 and $1.40 in US dollars.

Lydia loves to ride on the top level of the double decker buses at the very front. She throws her arms up in the air like we're on a roller coaster (that's definitely what it feels like at times). Tree branches hit the bus and I just hold my breath while passing another bus on the winding roads on the south island.

Mini-buses are also everywhere. They run fixed routes and tend to have fewer/shorter stops than the large buses. The downside is that some of the drivers are complete maniacs - sometimes it appears that the mini-buses are on two wheels as they race around corners. There have been some serious accidents because of careless driving that have caused public outrage. In fact, there was an article in the newspaper this morning about a new policy to install devices on the buses that would prevent them from exceeding a certain speed. Crazy drivers aside, I generally prefer the mini-bus to the big buses.


However, I still haven't figured out all of the rules for mini-buses - like when it's okay to get on at a bus stop not specifically designated for a certain route. I nearly caused an international incident the other day when I needed to get on the #40 mini-bus at a major shopping hub, but didn't know where the route originated. I kept watching the buses zip past me and decided to simply walk toward where they were coming from. After about 30 minutes of hiking around in not-so-comfortable shoes and 95% humidity, the novelty of my hunt wore off. I saw several #40 mini-buses stopping at a corner, letting people off. I tried getting on two of the mini-buses, but the drivers slammed the door before I could get on.

With the third bus, I used my intimidating size and attitude to get on (okay, I really just slipped in while a mob of people were getting off). When the driver noticed me he began yelling with hands waving, as if to brush me out of the bus. And, in a moment of boldness, I decided I was NOT getting off that bus. I scanned my transit card and sat down. I figured he would be more concerned about getting behind schedule than throwing me off the bus. He shook his head vigorously, threw the mini-bus in gear, and I ultimately got to my desired destination...but did nothing to shatter the "ugly American" stereotype.

Taxis are also in abundent supply. They line up outside our apartment complex. Compared to buses, they are expensive with the cheapest possible trip (a very short one - 2 kilometers) being about $2.35. I've learned that having a map with locations written in English and Chinese is important.

The MTR is the rapid transit rail network. It is set up much like the Metro in Washington D.C. and is very easy to use. It's also cheap. When you see a sign like this you know you're near a MTR station.


Recent MTR station lesson learned: you definitely have to know where you're going when you get out of the train station. And, you should find the location on a map in advance. AND, if you are meeting a non-English speaking person, have them SPELL the name of the location. I searched on foot for "Lon Mok" fountain to meet a person who I was buying a coffee maker from (long story) only to run out of time. I had to get back on the train to get back to meet Lydia at the school bus, wasting nearly 2 hours, frying some nerves, and sadly returning with no coffee maker. Turns out, I was supposed to be looking for "Landmark" fountain - right there on the map! Oops. I didn't have the nerve to call the person back and suggest we meet again.
All in all, I really like the transportation network. But, with my experiences, it's become quite clear that I'll never be appointed a US Ambassador!

1 comment:

  1. Molly, it's all about the journey, not the destination, right??? This was a great read!

    ReplyDelete