Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Cure for Jet Lag

We needed a cure. Our days and nights were completely confused. Dave and I were running on empty. Lydia had become so giddy from the lack of sleep we knew a terrible crash could happen at any time. The whole situation was a ticking time bomb.

But, we had the perfect elixir – five days and four nights in tropical Borneo. Within just 24-hours on the sunny island, our body clocks were back on track and our spirits lifted. We all slept eight straight hours - at night. That alone could have qualified this trip as worthwhile!

So where is Borneo?
Borneo is located at the center of southeast Asia and is the third largest island in the world. The island is divided among three countries – Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei. We stayed in the Malaysian region in the state of Sabah, near its capital city of Kota Kinabalu.

Because of its close proximity to the equator, Borneo has summer year-round. It has a rainy season (November – January), but isn’t affected by tropical storms like the nearby Philippines. During our stay, it rained once a day for a short period of time. The temperature was, as promised, around 85 degrees with high humidity.

While Borneo has mountains to climb, caves to explore, and jungles to trek our vacation included far less exotic activities (sorry, folks, no elephant riding or rainforest canoe trips to share this time!). Still, we had a fantastic time and saw some beautiful scenery. I’ll share some more about our trip over the next couple of days.

Plus, we learned a very important lesson – a tropical island does, in fact, cure jet lag. I guess we’ll HAVE to go to Sanibel Island on our way to KC next summer. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I'm always trying to give Chris reasons to take me to the beach, so I'll have to put this one in my bag of tricks (but first I have to get jet lagged). :) Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete