Thursday, September 29, 2011

In the News...

Unlike Mainland China, the press is free in Hong Kong and is often critical of Beijing - this is absolutely unthinkable just across the border.

The South China Morning Post (SCMP) is our daily newspaper. It contains a combination of highly sophisticated international news and feature articles that you'd find in a really small town paper (e.g. Mr. Li had out of town visitors and they ate shark fin soup).  Although the SCMP is an English language paper and is generally well-written, sometimes the headlines and reporting are absolutely baffling to native English speakers. On top of that, you see articles, photos, and advertisements that you'd never see in the USA.  Sometimes it can be hilarious - though not on purpose.  I look forward to reading it every day.

I've decided that as we come across interesting, funny, or "we're not in Kansas anymore" articles, I should share them on the blog.

This snippet caught my attention as I'd only recently read a KC Star article about how public pools in the Kansas City area had been opened to dog owners, allowing their little Fidos take a dip before the pools were drained.  Seems that there was a different kind of dog "festival" planned in China.  Yikes!


At least good sense prevailed and the event was cancelled - that's the only normal thing about this article!


No comments:

Post a Comment