Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Never in my wildest dreams...

It's fair to say that my life has taken a seriously different path than I had ever imagined.

Coming to the conclusion that we could move to Hong Kong and survive was something I wouldn't have expected a few years ago; had you told me 20 years ago I'd find myself living halfway around the world, I would have told you that you're crazy.

Spending an afternoon with Mr. Magic Miracles was pretty surreal.

Going on a safari seemed like something that other, more interesting people would do.

But the latest thing I've committed to may just prove that I've gone over the edge.I'm the newest Hong Kong International School Daisy Scout Leader.


I don't blame if you you just choked or burst out in laughter. I can't picture it either. To be clear, I think Girl Scouts are fantastic - that's why I wanted Lydia to get involved. And, I had planned to be fully supportive of Scout activities. Unfortunately, there were too many girls and too few Daisy leaders and an email plea went out for someone to lead a new troop.

I waited for days, thinking that a mom with Scout experience - or experience with kids - would emerge. Days passed and the silence was deafening. I told Dave that maybe I should volunteer, otherwise, it looked like Lydia would miss out. While supportive of the idea, he very diplomatically said, "If I were to write down all of your core competencies, I'm pretty sure that being a Scout leader would not be one of them." I couldn't agree more.

After about five days, I broke down and emailed the coordinator. I offered full disclosure - I have no scouting experience. I like kids, but even the thought of leading a group of kids in activities practically gives me hives (give me a room full of people angry about their sewer rates...that I can handle!). I am not really qualified and was only offering because no one else had come forward.

Still, they took me up on it. My Daisy Scout Leader training is tomorrow. And, I've already emailed one of my co-workers who is a Girl Scout guru to enlist her for remote assistance.

I'm sure the experience will be great. I'll be glad I did it. And, I guess it's just one more opportunity to get out of my comfort zone...though at this point, I'm not even sure I could locate my comfort zone.

Watch out Daisies, here I come!

6 comments:

  1. And you didn't mention this last night??? Oh, my!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reaction was a cross between a gasp and an been-there-done-that chuckle. Congrats and sign me up for a box of thin mints! I hope there will at least be cookies to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you will be great at this! You are always doing awesome crafts with Lydia. I'm sure some of that can translate. I think I would be more scared of thet leading the kids thing- herding cats...:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do anything you set your mind to when you have children ha ha You will do great as always Love Aunt Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. This totally beats wearing the stupid cub scout uniform. Although I do like their socks! KNock their socks off MollY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like me...I volunteered to be the art teacher for Sarah's class this year (uh, gulp!). We can survive this and inspire young minds! Have fun and good luck, you will be a great Daisy leader. Jennifer H.

    ReplyDelete